About Newcomb Pottery
Newcomb Pottery was established under the
direction of Ellsworth Woodward. The pottery was
operated in conjunction with advanced art courses
offered by Newcomb College. Woodward brought in
recognized artists Mary G. Sheerer as co-director
and Joseph Meyer as potter.
Until 1925 most Newcomb
Pottery was thrown by Joseph Meyer based on
designs prepared by Miss Sheerer. Completed pots
were decorated by the women in the Newcomb's art
department. Newcomb Pottery always operated as
studio pottery and never operated as a large-scale
Paul Cox was brought to Newcomb Pottery in 1910
to improve the quality of the clay and glazes.
Cox developed the soft, waxy semi-matte glazes
that Newcomb Pottery became famous for during
its transitional period of production. Cox was
with Newcomb Pottery until 1918.
From the 1920s until the late 30s Newcomb
Pottery continued to produce quality art pottery.
Works from this period typically were carved florals,
oak trees, and Spanish moss decorations in relief
on medium blue grounds. Newcomb Pottery closed
More Newcomb Pottery Links